Wednesday, September 21, 2011

It's getting hot in herre'

I found my old CDs from high school and have been somewhat on a Nelly kick. I love the memories it brings back of all the fun we had "back in the day"

Seasons are about to change (THANK you God!!) I love Summer....but I don't know if I really love Summer in the South due to the pyscho humidity. It's just hard to even walk outside...and the hair part... I seriously might as well have put my hair in a pony-tail every day instead of looking like afroman.

Summer's heat did bring me some beautiful jalapenos that I actually grew in my backyard!! I decided it was time to pick a few and make something hot and spicy... homemade hot and spicy ranch? Perfect addition to pretty much anything. I promise. Try it. Anytime. Always a charm.



Since this was my first time to grow them and as you can notice I don't have a green thumb (literally), they were a bit smaller than the ones you get in the grocery. However they were just as delicious and more fresh of course  : )



Here is a picture of a nifty tool I got from one of my high school friends, Mimi Duffee. Instead of having to prep yourself before removing the seeds of a pepper, you can just simply use this tool to remove the seeds and membrane. WOW. Yes, really.

Pepper Corer

Ahhh the memories...again. I remember having to "get ready for bed" so I wouldn't have to touch my eyes or face and then if I was lucky enough to have a pair of gloves around to wear while touching jalapenos....kinda embarressing story but one time I cut up a jalapeno to put in my egg and SOMEHOW touched my eye..... well I looked like a pirate the rest of the night and ate with just one eye open : /

As much as I am a fan of spicy and sweets...I've tried jalapeno chocolate before and I think it's just best to keep them separate....as in bacon wrapped jalapenos!!! Try this recipe below and you'll have enough heat to last you through Winter!!

Recipe: Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Thingies

(Pioneer Woman's recipe)

 |   |   | 

Ingredients

  • 20 whole Fresh Jalapenos, 2-3 Inches In Size
  • 2 cubes Cream Cheese, softened
  • 1 pound Thin(regular) Bacon, Sliced Into Thirds

Preparation Instructions

If you have them, slip on some latex gloves for the pepper prep or just buy a jalapeno corer and this will be much more fun ;) ... Cut jalapenos in half, length-wise. With a spoon, remove the seeds and white membrane (the source of the heat; leave a little if you like things HOT). Smear softened cream cheese into each jalapeno half. Wrap jalapeno with bacon pieces (1/3 slice). Secure by sticking toothpick through the middle.
Bake on a pan with a rack in a 375-degree oven for 20-25 minutes. You don’t want the bacon to shrink so much it starts to the squeeze the jalapeno. If, after 20 minutes, the bacon doesn’t look brown enough, just turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to finish it off. These are best when the jalapeno still has a bit of bite to it.
Serve immediately

No comments:

Post a Comment